Pages

Monday 9 December 2019

Activity 1: New Zealand Royalty

facts about lorde


Her real name

Let’s start with the basics here. No, this talented lady’s real name is not Lorde. It’s actually the exotic and culturally eclectic sounding Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O’Connor – her mother is of Croatian descent whilst her father is of Irish stock.

Her parents

It’s no wonder that Lorde has risen the way she has with such brilliant parents behind her. Her father is a civil engineer who actually used to employ her during school breaks. Her mother, Sonja Yelich, is an award-winning poet who encouraged Lorde to read a ton during her childhood. Interestingly, in this modern age of smart gadgets, Lorde’s parents barely let her watch TV, and when she was allowed she watched old classics like Wonder WomanThe Partridge Family, and Little House on the Prairie.

The place she calls home

Lorde really is the epitome of your everyday Kiwi kid who took the world by storm. She was born in Takapuna and raised in Devonport, which is a sleepier suburb of Auckland that lies across the bay from the city proper. Since becoming a household name, she has bought her own house in the area and, when not on tour, still loves to potter around picking up free furniture and knick-knacks on hard-rubbish day. It’s a day in the year when people get rid of their old but still serviceable furniture and stuff they can’t fit in their houses anymore, but don’t want to just throw it away.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stanley!

    My name is Mikey. I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team and I'll be commenting on some of your wonderful blog posts this summer. :)

    I'm so pleased to see that you've had a go at one of the teaser week activities! It's great that you're getting involved with the programme this year. However, I have noticed that the information you've shared here has been copied directly from another website. Using the internet to help you with the tasks is absolutely fine but when you complete them you do need to put the information into your own words.

    Have a go at re-doing this activity, making sure that it is all your own work, and I'll pop back and check it out once you're done. :)

    Have a great afternoon Stanley.

    Bye for now,

    Mikey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stan!
    Its Angel here!
    I really like this poster / information doc you made. I would love to see some pictures and colour in your post. Overall I like this blogpost!

    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stanley, just read your blog on Lorde.You have done a lot of research on her good to see that.Keep up the researching on other topics you might be a journalist one day.Keep safe Trish

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.